California FreshWorks is a loan and grant program that provides financing to food enterprises who are working to increase access to affordable, healthy food in low-income and underserved communities in California. We work with a variety of businesses that grow, aggregate, distribute, and sell healthy food in a way that builds a sustainable food system and reaches people in need.
Our network of lenders provides flexible capital to healthy food enterprises that are often unable to receive credit from traditional sources. Our Lending is supported by technical assistance grants that help build capacity, as well as a credit enhancement program that helps our lenders take additional risk.
FreshWorks partners with businesses that can use our financial tools to make a positive difference in our target communities. We evaluate applicants on their business plan and financial strength, as well as the following goals:
- Healthy Food Access: Increase access to healthy food for residents of low-income, low-access communities.
- Economic Development: Spur job creation and inclusive economic development.
- Racial & Social Equity: Ensure equitable access to food, ownership, and jobs.
- Environmental Stewardship: Encourage sustainable environmental practices.
- Local Sourcing: Build a sustainable California food system that increases availability of locally grown or produced foods.